The Birth Doula:
- Is a reassuring and constant presence.
- Provides assistance with the emotional needs of the mother (mothering)
- Helps to cope with labour.
- Can help a woman and guide her on how to stay relaxed until labour is well established.
- Helps the parents have the birthing experience they want.
- Provides information and natural empathy.
- Creates calmness and relaxation with touch and presence.
- She provides protection, confidence and support to let you go and be yourself!
- Helps the father to be in better harmony with the mother’s emotional state.
He gives more assured emotional support if he is less worried.
- Does not “prescribe” any birthing or labour technique but
- Creates an emotional “holding” environment for the mother encouraging her to allow he own body to tell her what may be best in the different stages of labour/birth.
- Will remain with the mother throughout the entire labour and not leave you alone!
- Can also care for siblings when needed.
The Postpartum Doula:
Postpartum Doulas are there to support you in your first weeks of being a mom.
They provide informational support about feeding and caring for the baby. They provide physical support by cleaning, cooking meals and filling in when mom needs a break, and they provide emotional support by encouraging a mom during those times when she feels overwhelmed.